Saturday, December 15, 2012
Heather's Hiccups... awards....
Recently I was nominated for an award, the Liebster Blog award... "the word Liebster apparently has German origins and is reported to mean sweetest, kindest, nicest, dearest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing, and welcome".
It's not my habit to accept awards, but in the spirit of the game and because I did not disclose anywhere on my blog I don't accept awards, I thought I'd use another of my famous mottos, "my blog, my rules"... so while I have been given the award and I have told the giver (thanks Tammy) that I might consider telling the 11 little known things about me required to "receive" the award.... I am being true to my word to her and am going to pass on some things about me... but in true "break the rules" fashion, since I'm not actually going to "accept" the award, here are 16 things you didn't know about me because that seems like a nice even number and it's just three more than a baker's dozen! (and I know I could have written more but I had to control myself... yikes!!!) It might look long, but worth the read, if I do say so myself, but then again, I just may be biased!
1. They say you need to eat a pound of dirt before you die... and I admit to having done that many times, including sharing my lollies and ice cream with my dogs when I was a little girl, "a lick for me, a lick for you".... now most of you are probably saying "yuk"... but I'm still here to tell about it so it couldn't have been all that bad! I may even have gained some antibodies against today's super bugs!
2. Speaking of yuk.... I recently made myself a cup of hot chocolate, which I usually only drink when I am desperate or out "coffeeing" (which I never do), anyway, I think the package may have been several years old, I don't know where I got it, probably some kind of Christmas exchange because it was instant hot chocolate all packaged up in a little plastic bag complete with marshmallows, Hershey's Kisses, and a candy cane... I think I kept it because it looked so cute and I thought that perhaps I would make little gifts like that one day, ha!... so I must have "squirreled it away in an empty container on my baking shelf (shows you when the last time I baked was)... , anyway, I digress... I was desperate because I had no milk in the house for my tea and when I discovered this I thought, hmmm... wonder if it's still good, I made it, drank it (not in my tea), it tasted good and I didn't die... so much for expiry dates! So, I probably should be embarrassed that I had hung onto this for so long, and then admitting that I finally drank it, but then I figure there are probably a lot worse things I've done in my life.... so what's the use of crying over brown milk!
3. If you haven't already guessed, I don't drink coffee!
4. I have been dying my hair for a few years, but only using the wash-in kind of dye... but, I haven't dyed it since June or July of this year... yup, the grays are showing... but in my mind, it takes a strong woman to wear gray!
5. I hate creamy foods like cream soup, salad dressing, cheese balls, spinach dip, chip dips, cream cheese, most cheese except cheddar and Velveeta, other stuff like that, however, ice cream, yogurt, whipping cream and cheese cake don't fall into that category :) yum!
6. My favourite breakfast is yogurt with granola and fresh or canned fruit on top... but only after I have my first mug.... or two... or three... of tea!
8. I was brought up in a family where I was taught that you never let a man hit you. When I was in my early twenties, I lived with a man who physically abused me.... I survived that relationship for about three years before one day I finally got the courage up to leave... it took me a long time to tell people about it, I used to be ashamed... but I have to look at it that it happened for a reason (Point #16 will explain my reasoning on that), perhaps to make me more compassionate towards others... anyway, since then, I have never let a man intimidate me again! Case in point, next point....
9. I've got a few nicknames... my B-I-L calls me the Celtic Warrior... perhaps that's because we don't always see eye to eye, and it has nothing to do with his 6 foot height to my meagre 5 foot 2 inches!
10. While I'm on the subject of men, once when I was having a conversation with a guy, he proceeded to tell me the problem with women/girls is that they weren't as smart as men/boys because it was a proven fact that men/boys learned to speak before women/girls did... I proceeded to tell him that the reason men/boys learn to speak before women/girls is that women/girls learn to think before they speak! Yaba daba doo Fred... I thought it was kind of witty... he didn't! Love to see a man at a loss for words!
12. I love ice cream! Favourites being vanilla or strawberry!
13. I am a book fanatic, and I've even been told I have OCD about my books because I don't dog ear them, I won't bend them at the spine, and I have been known to cover them with brown paper (just like the good old school days), if I think it will get "worn" like when I'm travelling! And when I buy a book I look to see that there are no marks on it. Most of the books I own and have read look like they've never been touched/read. On the other hand, I do love old hard cover books that show their age... dog ears, flaws and all!
14. My husband tells me that I have a dark cloud that hangs over my head, because if something is going to happen, it's going to happen to me... and I may be a little accident prone once in a while... he also thinks I have ESP because I just have to think about something and it happens... for instance, I don't know how many times I have gotten in to my car and looked at my tires and thought "I hope I don't get a flat", and lo and behold, I will get a flat... I have had more flats on the road to our house than my husband and the two neighbours combined have had in all the time they have lived here!
15. I will never be too old to believe... in my Alice in Wonderland world there are faeries, dragons, unicorns, mermaids and all things magical and there is beauty everywhere!
16. I am a strong believer in fate.... I believe we have many paths we can choose in life, and no matter which path we choose, along the way we are destined to meet certain people, live through certain things and do certain things. It makes us the people we are, or who we are meant to become.... they are what makes us strong, weak, compassionate, harsh, sentimental, funny... a person you might be happy to know!
Are you up to sharing intimate things about you?